Watch Hutch

Pennsylvania, Possibly Leigh County, circa 1790–1810 
Mahogany, mahogany veneer, pine, mellow finish.
Height 18 inches, width 11 inches, depth 4 inches. 

Together with a silver pair-case pocket watch with verge movement made by Peter Stockton, Liverpool, England, circa 1742, with watch paper for Robert Johnston, clock and watchmaker, 132 South Front Street, Philadelphia, active 1839–1856, formerly in the collection of Irvin and Anita Schorsch, Meadowbrook, Pennsylvania.    

At eighteen inches tall, this is an unusually large and impressive watch hutch, having a pronounced molded broken-arch pediment, urn-and-spire finial, split-baluster plinth, veneered front panel with convex carved fans and block-and-turned columns with twist-carved fluting. It represents a synthesis of the Chippendale design as expressed by a craftsman familiar with the ornamentation found on early nineteenth-century clocks made in southeastern Pennsylvania.    

Provenance:
Steven F. Still, Lancaster, Pennsylvania; David A. Schorsch and Eileen M. Smiles, Woodbury, Connecticut, 2010; Collection of Mickey and Jill Baten, White Plains, New York.

Skip to content